Shannon interviews her dad

Gerry SheeranOn the 16th of January 2010 I interviewed my dad Gerry Sheeran about school in the past. I found out that my dad went to Pullathomas National School. My dad thought he was very lucky because his school was only about a quarter of a mile from his home. Dad walked to school every day. He also said there was about 80 or 90 children in his school. When dad first started school he had to bring turf with him everyday but then the teachers started buying the turf. Dad learned English, Irish, Maths, Religion and History but his favourite subject was Irish. His school day was from 9:30 till 3:00 in the evening. Dad had bread and coco for his lunch and after they had there lunch they would go outside and play football. If children misbehaved the teacher would put them standing outside the door for a few minutes. Dad explained that there were no school tours when he was going to school but they would play football matches at the parish football. Dad started school when he was 5 and finished when he was 12. He explained that you wouldn’t be sent home unless you were really sick and if you were you would have to walk home. They got holidays from school at Christmas, Easter and summer, during the holidays they went to the bog and done work around the house.
   I really enjoyed interviewing my dad because I found out a lot of things I didn’t know.

Click here to hear an MP3 of my interveiw An interview with Gerry Sheeran   By Shannon